To achieve great things, two things are needed;.............. a plan, and not quite enough time. (NOTE: MOST PHOTOGRAPHS ON THIS WEBLOG COPYRIGHT BY HANS KLOPPERT)

Monday, July 14, 2008

BACK ON “DEVIL’S FOOD”


I got last year’s job back, which was exactly what I had hoped for: I will be cooking most of the summer again, starting today. Saturday night in the parking lot I already got my first order for a birthday cake from Cory in the color guard.

Tom – one of the pit member’s dad who also was on tour last year – told me that he was eager to know what kind of cake design I had in mind for this year’s show, after the successful Winged Victory cakes last season. I should say I have some idea, nut not a clear one yet. I’ll see what comes up.

The foodtruck crew this year has Carol Vargas back as the main chef. She was here last year as well. What a sweet lady! Have known her since 2004, my first tour with Blue Devils.
Then there’s Tom who I already mentioned. He’s staying on tour until San Antonio and will be back for Championships (but as a spectator then).
Marianne Emmons – one of Pete’s four sisters – stepped in the same night I did, after celebrating the Troopers’ 50th anniversary. She’s a lot of fun.
New on the crew is Gail, who used to cook for Phantom Regiment for many years, but switched to BD this summer.
Yvonne Moss – a booster club patron – was with us last year as well and is hooking up with the corps next week or so. And the conversations in the food truck will probably freak out the rest of the crew as of next week, for I bet they will be hearing a lot of Dutch! Ingrid – her daughter is marching in the color guard this year – from Huizen and her husband are joining us in Dallas. That should be fun!


This week Annette (one of the tenor player’s mom) is helping out and throughout tour there’s always a few parents assisting for a couple of days when they’re in the area.
Now,.. with Tom leaving us soon I will be “stuck” with a bunch of ladies in the kitchen. Same deal as last year. I had a blast though, so I’m sure that won’t be any different this summer.
I think I will treat them to some good old STROOPWAFELS today. They’re a big hit!!!
I’ll let you know what’s on the menus throughout tour. Good food only !!! I should say this corps is fed very well!

Enjoy,

HK

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home