To achieve great things, two things are needed;.............. a plan, and not quite enough time. (NOTE: MOST PHOTOGRAPHS ON THIS WEBLOG COPYRIGHT BY HANS KLOPPERT)

Sunday, July 20, 2008

CHICKEN TERYAKI and SWEET & SOUR

(I had left my memorystick at the school, so I couldn't post this at the stadium in San Antonio, but this text should have been here before the one below...)

While the corps was having a rehearsal in a nearby stadium in Little Elm (Texas) yesterday, I spent most of the afternoon and early evening in the kitchen preparing last year’s big hit: Chinese/Indonesian stir-fry. And boy,.. did they love it again this year.






Made two dishes again, both chicken, and lots of stir-fry veggies. In fact the meat kind of outnumbered the rice, but is surely tasted great. Made some improvised Peanut-sauce as well. The members didn’t really eat much of it last season, but this time the pan was empty before we noticed. Some of the kids that marched last year asked if this was the kind of meal we served them last year. Cheers all over the place!
One of them commented on video about the meal. Pretty funny!
The meal was late,.. really late. I think we only ate at 9:30PM.


We had quite a ride ahead of us to San Antonio. Some 400 miles I think. Usually we have 2 or 3 “potty-stops” when we go to our next stop on tour. I am normally only awake during the first stop. Next stop I wake up is pretty ,much always our final destination,.. and then the Nest has already been sitting there for a few hours. Other than that I am doing OK in waking up in time.

Last few days I was the first one out, so I got the kitchen started. This morning I was a little later, but still well in time - which is about two hours before breakfast (or brunch as we had this morning) is served. We take about two hours to fix the meal.
Little Elm was a great place to stay (apart from the heat then!) Good shopping nearby, excellent facilities!


We’re in San Antonio right now, same school as last year and in 2005 – a Catholic Girls School, not too far away from downtown. I remembered I took public transportation into town last year. Good service. Today there’s no time to enjoy the city centre and the pretty River Walk. Both in 2005 and 2007 we had the Sunday after the show off in San Antonio. Great city, but I am OK with the idea that the corps chose another location for a day off this year. We’ll be in Dallas all day Monday. It has been a while since I last was in Dallas. Hope to see some of the sights.



Tom Wills is leaving Devils Food tonight. That’s unfortunate, because he is a GREAT help, an excellent griller and a good conversation partner as well. He also teaches in High School so that gave us some topics to chat about. I think he has been on tour for 3 weeks with us. We will see him back at Championships, but then as a spectator. In the next few weeks we might have another few parents come in the next few weeks to help out. But we’re pretty full as it is right now. Too many people for the available bunks on the Nest. I’m just lucky to have mine secured.


The corps is rehearsing on the school’s field right now. I will go and watch the runthrough. I have just finished slicing ham for dinner. It’s scalloped potatoes and ham from the oven. The kids seem to like everything we serve them. There’s always a special tray in the kitchen for the four or five vegetarians we have in the corps, and one for Ben, who is allergic to any milk product and whey. So that means we have to prepare his dish with care.

I did another two cakes today as well. Put some icing on the chocolate/pineapple cake, copying this year’s show logo “Constantly Risking Absurdity”. Turned out nice,.. a good practice for the next one.

The other cake was one big experiment. That hasn’t gone out yet. Yellow Cake with Lemon. I assume we’ll put it out tomorrow at dinner.
Tonight is the show at the Alamodome. I can’t make it to the afternoon show unfortunately, so I am hoping to get to the stadium early enough to catch Glassmen’s performance. Would be nice to finally see Erik and Youri perform.

Enjoy,

HK

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home