To achieve great things, two things are needed;.............. a plan, and not quite enough time. (NOTE: MOST PHOTOGRAPHS ON THIS WEBLOG COPYRIGHT BY HANS KLOPPERT)

Friday, July 23, 2010

MEETING DANNY GOTTLIEB IN DALLAS





When I hear the name of that city I always have to think of the TV series. JR,... eh... Sue Ellen, Miss Ellie, Cliff, Lucy, Pamela....
Jeez,... surprised I even remember those names. But then I got to watch it a lot because my mom loved it.

We never got to see much of the city itself yesterday though, but that's OK. I'm not here as a tourist anyway. The Little Elm High School was quite a bit out of the way.

By popular demand I made two sorts of hummus yesterday. (FYI - We are on our way to Houston as I am writing this) One hummus straight up with garbanzo beans, lemon juice, garlic (lots of it!!), salt & pepper. The other one was pretty much the same concept but to give it some extra flavour I added spinach, and dried chili peppers for the afterbite.


But hummus wouldn't be hummus if not served with pita bread. So I decided to make that too! Well,... that was a pain in the "you know what!" alright.
I'm not too fond of this whole yeast stuff, and then letting your dough sit for 2 hours before actually making the little round rolled out breads to go into the oven.

Obviously this was a try out and I didn't make pita or hummus for the whole corps.... That would have been insane!! I think the bowl of pita bread was gone when half the corps had gone down the food line. Perhaps we'd better buy it next time.
It was definitely worth doing the home-made pitas. Hardly ever had as many compliments on the food as today.

The show in Dallas was another sold-out one. And what a great & responsive audience/crowd! They loved EVERY corps! That's just great! In fact last night (Thursday) and Friday there are two shows back to back both in Dallas and in houston where all World Class corps perform. So we will get to go to Houston next and all corps that were there tonight are coming here to Dallas.


Got to see my friend Lauren Vogel Weiss, who is also on the Drum Corps World staff with me and writes for the magazine Modern Drummer. She features an article about drumcorps every August/September edition. Unfortunately due to a decrease in advertising revenues the size of the article was brought back from 4 pages a few years ago to a single page or even less today. Good seeing her again.

Lauren introduced me to Danny Gottlieb.
Now... The name might not immediately ring a bell to all of you, but those who like Pat Metheny should know immediately who I am talking about. Danny is a renowned jazz artist (drummer) and was the first drummer in the Pat Metheny band when they started. I saw him perform at the North Sea Jazz festival
many years ago. In fact he still tours through Europe quite a bit nowadays.

Danny's stepson Scotty is the center snare for The Cadets this year. Danny and his wife are volunteering with The Cadets on the food truck this week, so pretty mucht doing the same thing I am doing. We had an extensive conversation about drumcorps here in the States and drumcorps back home in The Netherlands, about how and when I got involved in Jubal, about the time and way he was exposed to the drumcorps phenomenon, and the change of his thoughts about the activity over the years from not liking it at all, to almost being addicted today. Obviously having a child in the scene makes a big difference.

How fun this is that if you share the same interests it doesn't take much to get a conversation going about a lot of differenty stuff. Almost felt like I have known him for many years! Looking forward to seeing him again in Houston.
I made sure I got some close up shots of Scotty for them.



BD's score was an impressive 92.00 points!! This still gives them a good lead. Let's see what happens in Houston and what the scores are for the other 12 World Class corps who performed in Houston tonight.



Enjoy,

HK

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home