To achieve great things, two things are needed;.............. a plan, and not quite enough time. (NOTE: MOST PHOTOGRAPHS ON THIS WEBLOG COPYRIGHT BY HANS KLOPPERT)

Saturday, July 11, 2009

DAMMIT !!!! ANOTHER TRAVELLING DISASTER


Well… and here the FARCE begins.
Boarding in Detroit went fine. I had plenty of time to cruise the A Terminal, and get a bite and a drink. Took another nap on the plane, took some photos and some video of the clouds, sunset and the lightning over Denver. And then passed out again.
When we hit the ground and I woke up I heard the stewardess say: “Ladies and gentlemen… Welcome to Cheyenne!”
Did I really wake up??
Yes I sure did. This was not a dream… but the beginning of some nightmare.
We ARE in CHEYENNE, WYOMING (of all places…). The smallest airport I have ever been to. Even SEPPE is bigger! Only one little conveyer belt!

Many planes took a little detour here because of the severe weather in the Denver area. We sat in the plane on the runway for about 2 hours, with three planes lined up in front of us and a couple of planes behind us.
Most planes just landed to refuel and then move on again.
Our story was different!! Quite different!
The crew had already worked too many hours today, so there was no way they were going to take us to Denver later tonight. Various options were discussed among the passengers. The captain announced that buses would be coming to pick everyone up at the Cheyenne airport and take us to Denver (a drive of a good couple of hours!), BUT the busses would take another few hours before they’d get to Cheyenne. NO buses available right away. The n they announced that the luggage would have to stay on the plane and would be taken to Denver in the morning. Many passengers didn’t like that option. The airport wasn’t fit for this kind of situation at all. Luckily we were the ONLY plane that actually stayed here. Otherwise the airport would have been a circus with so many people stranded!

So here we are… 160 people in a terminal the size of a large bathroom… Hooray for the fresh popcorn!
The bar is still open so I am enjoying my first American beer of this summer. It looks like there will coming up a few more while I’m waiting.
Hooray also for the free WIFI internet! Good way to kill the time,.. updating my weblog and my Facebook page (there’s more photos there!)
We’ll see what happens…

While I am writing here, my Jubal buddies are on the bus to Kerkrade. GOOD LUCK in competition (whatever the competition is worth for the corps…) Better news for our corps was that last night it was announced to the members that we will go on our USA TOUR in the 100th anniversary season. So 2011, and not 2012 as management had first decided. I wasn’t there when it was announced, but I am sure many many members were very happy about this. Logistically we would have gone in 2010, but not enough preparation on financing had been done, so the trip had to be postponed.

Our corps director told me last week that they had reviewed the members’ opinions from the survey that was held earlier this year after I had suggested at the annual corps meeting to make the tour an Anniversary Tour. I am convinced doors will open in the States when a corps that is celebrating its 100th anniversary is coming over!!

I’ll go for my next beer… catch ya tomorrow!

Enjoy, (but pissed!)

HK

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home