To achieve great things, two things are needed;.............. a plan, and not quite enough time. (NOTE: MOST PHOTOGRAPHS ON THIS WEBLOG COPYRIGHT BY HANS KLOPPERT)

Sunday, July 25, 2010

IT'S JUST NOT THE SAME!



The DCI Southwestern Championships - the annual show in San Antonio (Texas) - is very different from where we are used to going. The beautiful Alamodome could not be used this year (I heard because the football team is using the facilities during the day).

For a lot of years the Alamadome has been the scene for a fantastic day of drumcorps! This was the show where ALL (World Class) corps meet for the first time during the season. This year that would have been last week in Minneapolis, but unfortunately that show rained out.

Now the San Antonio event was split into two shows: one on Saturday night and one on Sunday night. We were on the first night, and hardly had any competition. The other corps we wanted to see (Crown, Cavaliers, Bluecoats & Cadets) were scheduled for Sunday night. The show was now held at the Judson High School stadium, so an outdoor event.

The Alamodome always was a ONE-DAY event, and always drew massive crowds.
Tonight the size of the crowd was rather disappointing! It didn't even get close to what would normally come to the Alamodome. I expect tomorrow's crowd to be even smaller, knowing it's a Sunday...

We're staying at the same school we have been staying at the last couple of years: The Providence/St Mary's All-Girl Catholic school, not all that far from downtown San Antonio. That means: walkingdistance to downtown! I love it!

Obviously there was no decent practice facility near the school. The field they have was being renovated, so after brunch the corps was taken to Alamo stadium. I went downtown to get my camera checked. The only camera store at the Rivercenter Mall (Ritz Camera) had gone out of business. I thought (and hoped) it was only the memory card that busted, and I was right. I got a new Compact Flash card, and the camera works fine again! That made my day.

Dinner was the best (and most expensive) meal we have fed the corps so far this year: Beef briskets! They LOVED it!


I got a ride to the stadium on the equipment truck with Bill Seeley. We (Keith and I heard that we had to help with unloading the mirrors from the truck too, and take them to the stadium. Also had to take some dinner to the ladies at the Souvie trailer. Gail was back in town too! When we got back to the truck (which wa ridiculously far from the stadium entrance) we found out that a lot of volunteers had offered to help unload the morrors and take them to the stadium. They do anything for a free T-shirt!

The corps buses were parked even much further away! And the warm-up area was like a swamp. No,.. not a good site!


Sorry I missed Cascades again. I was hoping to see them tonight, especially as there are two guys from The Netherlands marching. I briefly talked to Martjan again during the show. He was having a great time. Better than the first time I saw him. Less homesick I guess. And the show is going well for them! I will try and catch that show in Atlanta next Saturday. I don't think I will get to see them in Lafayette either, since we're not housed at the show site.


I saw Joury and Kitty again. They had made their decision and talked to both the people at Phantom Regiment and some staff at Glassmen. Glassmen have two spots open: a baritone and a mellophone. And guess what! That's exactly what both of them play! This is great. Joury marched with Glassmen before, but to Kitty marching DCI will be a whole new experience! I'm sure she will love it! They only have three weeks though! I wish them luck!

Here's some shots of the competing corps tonight.

Enjoy,

HK






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home