To achieve great things, two things are needed;.............. a plan, and not quite enough time. (NOTE: MOST PHOTOGRAPHS ON THIS WEBLOG COPYRIGHT BY HANS KLOPPERT)

Wednesday, August 04, 2010

3 DAYS OFF FROM TOUR




I didn't watch much of the show in Salem last night. I did miss Glassmen's performance, and am sorry about that, but will see them again soon!
I watched the hornline warm-up before the show, which was all very relaxed.
They worked on some exciting parts in the show, bringing the voices better together yet. If you's ever get a chance, do check out "The Lot" and try and get in front of one of the corps' brass arcs. You will be blown away. Absolutely spectacular!!!

I also decided this would be the show I'd watch from the back sideline. I always do that at one show during the season. It gives you a whole different view on the show seeing it from this perspective. You will see a lot of things you don't even realize they're going on on the field when watching it from the front.
Musically it all sounded very weird. Obviously the mirrors block a lot of the sound.




After snack we hit the road to Fairfax. I had announced I'd be taking a few days off to spend with Lisa, my best long-time friend in the States. Today (Wednesday) was another long day since I didn't sleep at all last night.

Blue Devils drove from Salem to Fairfax overnight (well... ALL trips are during the night, so this was no exception!). I had agreed with our driver Warner that he would drop me off at the Vienna/Fairfax GMU metroline station on the way to the housing site (which was the University complex). This would be the easiest option, but would get me to Washington kind of early... VERY EARLY!!!



I was dropped off at the Metroline station exactly when the gate of the station was opened (4:50 AM) and could take the very first train into the city. I don't think I have ever gone to a big city, let alone a capital, at this time of day. I arrived at Union station at 5:40. That's ridiculous. Obviously I didn't want to walk around town yet when it was still dark, so I sat in the Amtrak lobby and checked out my email and stuff on my phone. In fact there was an excellent Wifi signal within the station!

Dropped off my bag at the bag storage desk and slowly started walking towards the capitol building. Yes.. SLOWLY. That was the motto for the day...
I spent all morning walking at an easy pace from the capitol all the way to the other end of the Mall to the Lincoln Memorial. Easy going, with a stop every once in a while on one of the park benches along the grass fields in the middle of the Mall. Made a quick visit to tweo of the Smithsonian museums (I admit... mainly to use the restrooms,... I have seen just about all of the museums over the years and different visits to Washington).

I always enjoy the architecture very much, and the monuments of course! Washington Monument, Jefferson Memorial (which could just be seen in the distance through the trees), the World War monument, the long wall of the Vietnam Memorial and of course one of my favourites: The Lincoln Monument, where a huge statue of Abraham Lincoln is sitting in an even so impressive chair,... all white marble.






Washington is by far one of the most impressive cities of all the cities I have visited in the States so far! I could come back here any time!
I felt like the ULTIMATE TOURIST today!! You should have seen me! Had my picture taken with just about all of the monuments... Hard to believe that was really me, but hey... playing the tourist ONE day out of 50 isn't all that bad is it??!!!

It was a good thing I got to Washington so early, for I had planned on meeting Luigi and Mike (also from Dordrecht & Jubal) at Union Station at noon, so had to hurry back on a public bus (free this time becsause the machine was jammed!)
The two of them were also staying at Lisa's these days, and we were all to pick his wife Trinet up from Dulles International Airport at 16:40.



We walked by them back of the Capitol building to visit the Library of Congress. Security there is just about as crazy as at the airports! X-ray machines! Nothing in your pockets! Take your belt off... What are they execting??

We had lunch at "The Dubliner", stopped at the post office and made our way to Dulles Airport. It took well over an hour after Trinet had landed for her to get through Immigration and Customs.
I took a nap in the car on the way to Lisa.
It was a great pleasure seeing her again. I see her every year - usually take the day of the Allentown show off to spend with her - but it's always good to be back here. Sort of my second home in the States. I used to live with Lisa when I marched Reading Buccaneers back in 1987. Wow... that's 23 years ago!!! Hard to believe it's been that long!



We had a few snacks and drinks and chatted before went to bed.

Enjoy,

HK

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home