To achieve great things, two things are needed;.............. a plan, and not quite enough time. (NOTE: MOST PHOTOGRAPHS ON THIS WEBLOG COPYRIGHT BY HANS KLOPPERT)

Monday, July 22, 2013

PICKPOCKETS, DELAYED FLIGHTS AND MISSED CONNECTIONS


Yes, it was a very short night! As far as nor sleeping before I leave for the States this year was no exception. Took a taxi to central station little after 6AM, and the train to Schiphol airport at 6:38. It was pretty quiet on the train. At Rotterdam more people came on board.

They when we got to The Hague and I wasn’t paying attention pickpockets took my laptopbag. I noticed and ran after the guy. They worked in a group, so my bag had already made it out of the train. When I looked outside on the platform I saw this guy carrying my bag and shouted. Railway security stopped him and handcuffed him. Fortunately I have my belongings back, but it sure scared the shit out of me alright.
Couldn’t stay obviously to report the crime as I had a plane to catch, so they took a photo of my passport and took my number. I was called by the police when I had just checked in and was on my way to the gate to file a police report. I am glad they bastard got caught. His companion ran away.
AT the airport the line for checking in was ridiculously long. I was able to go through the Delta Sky priority check in line (for Gold, Platinum and Diamond members), so I was done in no time.
No time for tax-free shopping this time. Well, not at first but  at the gate it was announced there were some technical problems with the intercom on the plane. Guess it’s not safe to fly if we can’t hear the purser or the captain. All in all good for a 3+ hour delay, so I already knew I was not going to make my connecting flight to Austin. Oh well,…

The flight itself was very smooth,… at least the part I didn’t sleep. Gotta keep up with traditions,… sleeping at least two third of the flight. Tried to watch a film the last hour or so.
Once in Atlanta every non-US citizen has to go through Homeland Security. Obviously I picked the wrong line and ended up going through as one of the very last passengers of my flight. My connecting flight to Austin was long gone, so I tried getting on a later flight. Only possibility was stand-by. Not a good idea, as the Blue Devils would not stay in Austin. I had them rebook my flight and flew to San Antonio instead, where the corps will have a free day all day Monday.
Little after ten PM did I get to the school, where our bus had stayed. Felt like coming home! All of Devils Food staff were there. I will be working with some great people again! As if the day had not been long enough yet, I went to a bar in town for a few drinks with fellow-cook Mike, and drivers Warner and Dan. Now off to bed! Let’s see how and when my jet leg kicks in this time.
Oh,... and HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD !
Enjoy,
 HK

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home