To achieve great things, two things are needed;.............. a plan, and not quite enough time. (NOTE: MOST PHOTOGRAPHS ON THIS WEBLOG COPYRIGHT BY HANS KLOPPERT)

Sunday, July 12, 2009

TIRING DAY, BUT GOT TO SEE A GREAT SHOW BY BLUE DEVILS

Blue Devils color guard

It was a looooooooooooooooong day, but I got through it alright.
From my front door in Dordrecht to my arrival at the housing site Blue Devils were at took a total of 32 hours!! Some trip!!
That was quite a bit more than I had expected. Unfortunately this thunder and lightning storm over Denver sort of ruined the schedule.

I did catch some sleep on both flights and a little on the busride from Cheyenne to Denver, but not enough to match a full night’s rest (as if I ever have a full night’s rest… haha).
Then when I arrived at Denver airport I sat there for a couple of hours before they finally had a car available to pick me up.
Just like last year Toby - who drives the Cheeseball all summer – picked me up from the airport in Denver. I got to the housing site during lunchtime, so a good time to meet everyone. The welcome was great! Many members came up to me to greet me and said how happy they were to have me back on tour. That was flattering, especially since most of them mentioned food in their conversation. “We ready for some more spices and flavours” some said.
We’ll see. I know they way I cook is a bit different from what they’re used to, but I always have to go by what head-cook Carol Vargas decides. The good thing is though that she came up with the saying: “You can never use enough flea powder” (referring to garlic powder).
Some said they were looking forward to my stir fry Chicken Teriyaki and Sweet & Sour Chinese meal.
After an already tiring day I obviously didn’t want to miss the Drums Along the Rockies show at the magnificent Invesco Field stadium of the Denver Broncos. What a spectacular site.
Right before I went in to get my passes I ran into David Dewyn (from Drumspirit in Belgium), who is marching bass #5 in Bluecoats this summer, and Jort Wierema (Beatrix’) who is in Santa Clara Vanguard’s baritone section.
Only after the show I met Anniek who used to be in Jubal’s color guard in 2007 and is now marching Bluecoats color guard and doing a great job! I will have to wait until later this week to see my Jubal buddies Erik and Marcel.
I got to see quite a few shows. Madison Scouts didn’t mean much to me. They have a long way to go. Unfortunately I missed the Troopers. They have had a couple of down years, but they’re back alright.
Santa Clara Vanguard brought back good memories of their late 1980’s early 1990’s shows. Very stylish! Bluecoats has another fun show. Great drumline! Both Anniek and David are doing a fine job there!

Anniek in action with Bluecoats

Last night was the first night Blue Devils met Cavaliers in competition. Cavies have their color guard dressed as mountain climbers. Quite a different look! Very effective stuff going on in their show. I only saw it from field level though.
Blue Devils have brought back some of their old style. Very catchy tunes!! I love that!

Blue Devils

The field is full of white chairs. Neat effects! The color guard is a real eye-catcher again. They’re dressed in bright yellow. Very cool show!! Still dirty in execution though.

Devils won last night’s competition. Another week to go before we go up against Carolina Crown and the Holy Name Cadets.
Can’t wait for that!

Today we’re in Hutchinson Kansas, where we’ll have a show tomorrow night.
I had a very good night of sleep on the way over here! Only went out at the first truck stop. Apparently we made three stops, but I never wake up during the night trips.

I heard the corps haven’t had many desserts yet on tour so far, so Carol already talked to me about making some cakes.
It’s going to be a hot day! The corps can sleep in a little bit. Brunch only starts at 1 PM.

Enjoy,

HK

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home