To achieve great things, two things are needed;.............. a plan, and not quite enough time. (NOTE: MOST PHOTOGRAPHS ON THIS WEBLOG COPYRIGHT BY HANS KLOPPERT)

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

WHAT ARE THE ODDS

OK, I admit,… I do know quite a few people in various countries… But what are the odds… Monique, a very good friend of mine from my home-town Dordrecht (back in the Netherlands) got transferred to Houston for her work for a couple of months. And guess where we were going after San Antonio!!
Right… HOUSTON.  To be honest, until Sunday I didn’t even realize we were going to Houston. I thought we were heading straight to Hattiesburg Monday night. So we communicated on Facebook a little to see if we could make a meet & greet happen after her work.
Houston was scorching hot. The humidity was ridiculous. And we spent pretty much all day in the food truck, fixing my favourite drumcorps dish: Stir Fry Chicken Teriyaki. The band director of the school we were staying at prepared some delicious Texas Ribs on his barbecue for the food crew right in front of our food truck. Yummie !

The corps rehearsed at a stadium nearby, so there wasn’t really a chance to go there and watch rehearsal.
Monique had sent me a message that she could come to see me and the Blue Devils rehearsal. And so she did. How cool is that!!  She brought three of her colleagues too (also Dutch) and picked me up from our housing site so we could go to the stadium and see the corps rehearse.
I have only been here two days , and they’re the best ever.

Monique is a lot of fun! OMG,.. what a character! Have known her for some 20 years I guess. She used to play in a Mardi Gras Band too, and has come on two trips to Paris with me. It was absolutely great seeing her here,.. so far away from home. Both our parents back in the Netherlands followed our arrangements to meet on FB.
Monique was completely blown away by the Blue Devils. She knew about drumcorps (Jubal), but this was definitely something else. Her colleagues, unfamiliar with the activity, enjoyed it a lot too!


What a fun evening!
Enjoy,
HK

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home