To achieve great things, two things are needed;.............. a plan, and not quite enough time. (NOTE: MOST PHOTOGRAPHS ON THIS WEBLOG COPYRIGHT BY HANS KLOPPERT)

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

HOUSING SITES CANCELLED

We have a problem! WE recently heard that the housing site Blue Devils had blocked for DCI Championships in Indianapolis has "thrown us out". It was the same school we stayed at last summer, and when DCI had its regionals in the RCA Dome: Ben Davis High School.
They Blue Devils and Ben Davis HS have had a long relationships. Several BD instructors teach at Ben Davis too. Wayne Downey write their brass charts.

That all didn't help securing the facilities. Now,.. I don't know exactly what happened here, but these situations are usually the result of decisions made by the sports coaches, who need the gyms and the fields, especially since school is starting pretty soon.

With another week to go before we actually have to be in Indianapolis for the first events, you can imagine people are getting pretty nervous around here. And honestly,.. I don't know what's going to happen.

I know the corps is too important for DCI to let this happen, so I assume they will jump in. I know that just about all Open Class corps are on their own as far as arranging housing. DCI primarily coordinates the housing for World Class.

The other problem we have is that yesterday we heard that the housingsite (which is where we were originally going after tonight's show) for Thursday and Friday is out too. We were going to stay at Reading High School, but that fell through as well.

Cancelling a site one day before arrival is unacceptable, but hey.. that's what happens, even to top-corps such as Blue Devils and the Cadets.
Now normally I wouldn't worry too much about where we're staying for a show, but this news really screwed up my plans as well.

I suggested to Pete Emmons (corps manager) that I was willing to contact some of the people I know in the Reading/Allentown area from the year I marched Reading Buccaneers, but there was no need for that for there were people on it already.
This morning still no news on a possible ralternative housing site. I suggested he'd contact Al Moffat with Zildjian. He helped me find housing for Jubal in 2006 at a military academy near Allentown.

I am now figuring out what to do tomorrow, because right now it looks like we're coming back here to Bellbrook Ohio tonight after the show and spend another day here tomorrow and then go to Allentown on Friday. So it looks like I'm screwed.

My long-time friend Lisa from Wilmington (I lived with her when I marched there in 1987) was originally going to pick me up at the Reading High School tomorrow morning; some other Jubal friends are staying over at her place too tomorrow night. Then early eveing tomorrow I am to pick up another friend - Paola - in Philadelphia. She's flying in from Italy and will spend a year in the States for work & study. In Italy she marches in the Truggio Marching band. Since she has never seen a drumcorps show before - beside the Blue Devils in Italy in 2005 - I suggested she'd come to the Allentown show.

Well,.. I gotta run... am going to try and find someone that can give me a ride. I already put a request on Facebook. Bluecoats are going to Pittsburg from here tonight, so that won't work. The Academy perhaps!

And it's going to rain pretty soon. NOT GOOD!!


Enjoy,

HK

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home