To achieve great things, two things are needed;.............. a plan, and not quite enough time. (NOTE: MOST PHOTOGRAPHS ON THIS WEBLOG COPYRIGHT BY HANS KLOPPERT)

Thursday, July 30, 2009

IT'S NOT WHAT YOU KNOW, BUT WHO YOU KNOW...



in Dutch we have a similar expression/saying: "Het maakt niet uit wie je bent maar wie je kent!" And it just proved that this is so very true!
I think it's thanks to my many trips to the States & DCI and the many people I have met over the years that I am now actually in the back seat of a car on my way to Philadelphia... to Downingtown to be precise.

It took ONE phone call after I had found out the Mandarins drum & bugle corps were driving to Pennsylvania after last night's show in Centerville Ohio (about 10 hours from Philadelphia).

I contacted Ray Mar, corps director for the Mandarins, whom I have seen and talked to at many shows already this season, since Mandarins and BD are doing just about the same tour. I have known Ray for maybe 15 years now. In fact I got to know him through his son Greg, who taught the color guard and visual when I first met him many years ago.

I dropped my problem with Ray, said I was willing to ride any kind of vehicle. I didn't care...
I just didn't want to miss my appointments in Philadelphia and Delaware!

He had a little issue since his corps had a lot of sick kids over the last few weeks. They are still not all fully recovered. They keep all the sick kids and those that had had the flue together on one bus and sort of quarantize them. That means that the other two buses are very full. Manarins field 118 members this season.
Ray first didn't know where to put me, so I was going to see him at the show. I packed some luggage (I'm only going to be away for 2 days) and the presents I had brought for Lisa, and got a ride on the Cheeseball to the stadium.

I was introduced to Harold and Howie, who are both drivers in the SUV I'm currently in It's about 2AM right now. It pulls a little trailer with instruments.

I feel like the luckiest guy in the world right now! I get to do everything tomorrow and Friday as originally planned! That's great!

It's a ten hour drive to the Philadelphia area. We talked quite a bit the first stretch of the route. Howie is the talker of the two. I explained a lot about Jubal and drumcorps in Europe. We also chatted about work and the world's economy and a whole lot of other stuff.

Just heard one of the Mandarins' corps buses broke down at about 1AM. One of the axels broke. So they will be getting to Downingtown a lot later than we will.
I think I will take nap in a little bit. I'm pooped.

Enjoy,

HK

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home