To achieve great things, two things are needed;.............. a plan, and not quite enough time. (NOTE: MOST PHOTOGRAPHS ON THIS WEBLOG COPYRIGHT BY HANS KLOPPERT)

Friday, July 17, 2009

HOUSTON WE HAVE A PROBLEM

I've always wanted to say that but it just never made sense.
\We've been joking with this expression, but now it's reality! We arrived in Houston this morning, and when I got up I heard the bad news that the food truck is NOT here.

So YES,.. we HAVE a problem! Apparently it broke down somewhere between Dallas and here, or at least the fridge unite quit and it in for repairs somewhere.A run to Wal-Mart is in proress already since the corps is getting up in an hour to have breakfast. So cereals and milk and things are being bought as we speak in order to get the corps going and have them ready for rehearsal. We'll see what happens for the other meals today.

I already heard a rumour there will be pizza tonight! I bet the kids would love that.I was just talking to the band director here at the school. His band is 300+ members this season. The school is only 4 years old, and his band grew from 70 to 300. I am so jealous of themusic programmes that American high schools have! Here they have an extended music programme including a marching band, two jazz band, two concert bands, a full orchestra and a couple of choirs. One of the assistent instructors came and joined in our conversation and once again it turned out drumcorps is a VERY SMALL WORLD!

This guy - Jonathan marched Madison Scouts (baritone/euphonium) from 2000 to 2005. So I said "You must know some of our Jubal members then". "Oh... You know Robin", he said?

But the bigger surprise came when I introduced myself and he said: "Oh YOU'RE Hans!" He had heard all about me from a friend of his - Megan Horne - that I have known since she was a little girl. Her dad and I were in the same corps together way back in 1984 when I marched my first season of DCA with the Rhode Island Matadors. Apparently she moved to Houston some time ago and lives with her boyfriend now.

They have just returned from a trip to England and Scotland. Unfortunately they couldn't include a short stay in The Netherlands. That would have been nice! Jonathan called them immediately on the phone to tell them I was here. They will stop by at rehearsal some time today. It will be great seeing her again. Last time I saw her was a few years ago, when she marched Cadets.

I haven't seen her dad Greg for a long time! I think I should plan a trip to the Boston/Providence area some time soon.

Enjoy,

HK

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home